Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Or simply log in with your social network account:
collapse

Author Topic: Trehalose - for depression, mental, and physical health  (Read 2306 times)

cubicleclown

• Leaf eater
Trehalose - for depression, mental, and physical health
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »

I've been trying out yet another supplement new to me, and I think others may find it particularly interesting relating to the fact that it probably isn't very well known or used much.  That supplement is trehalose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trehalose.

Trehalose is a type of sugar, sometimes used in huntington's and parkinson's disease, and offers a neuroprotective effect.  It is purported to work by interacting with glutamate in some way (I think it was through protection from glutamate induced neurotoxicity) and also inhibiting aggregation and neurotoxicity of beta-amyloid.  Another action of trehalose is causing brain autophagy, and has been reported to help depression http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23644913 and other mental problems, and that is the reason I am trying it.

One possible problem with trehalose is that it is broken down by an enzyme in the body called trehalase, which converts the vast majority of oral trehalose into glucose.  Testing after oral trehalose administration has not detected any increase in the blood, and it would seem that oral administration would not be helpful, however users have still been reporting improvement in their ailments through oral administration, including the above mouse study for depression, having given it only orally.  So it might still work.

I've seen it recommended that for enough to be absorbed orally, one must consume around 50 grams a day.  Trehalose is pretty cheap and palatable, so I've been able to achieve this.  This is day 4 of usage, and so far what I have been noticing is feeling tired after my single 20 gram doses.  I think it is too soon for desired effects to be fully realised, I don't think autophagy would work over night.  I will give it more time and see.

An interesting fact about trehalose is that it in some way is what enables tardigrades (water bears) to survive freezing, if memory serves me correctly it is the only known life form that can survive an exposed trip through space.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:29:41 am by Saxifrage »

cubicleclown

• Leaf eater
Re: Trehalose
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:32:53 pm »

I have a small update.  About 8 days of use total as of today.  I no longer feel fatigued after taking it unless I take much more than the 15-20 gram spoonfuls that I have been taking 3 times daily.  I'm going to try taking an extra large dose to try and help with sleep tonight by hopefully triggering the fatigue.  I'll report if it works or not.

I have been feeling a little better than usual in the past few days, not sure if it is trehalose contributing to this though.  I am also testing out supplemental GABA right now and that is most likely contributing to my improvement, I don't know if trehalose is part of this improvement or not.  I'll find out in the next few days as whenever I use GABA daily, it poops out in under a week, and I stop taking it as continuing with it gives me no benefit.  It's always a big disappointment!

I've come across more information about trehalose' benefits including benefits from oral administration, a very informative website of results someone compiled from various studies.  http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2014/06/18/trehelose-a-natural-sugar-that-could-possibly-be-consumed-for-health-and-longevity/
If you just want to see where it talks about oral use, I have a tip (not 1 weird tip of a flat belly ;D) one can use to speed up website reading; hold down ctrl then hit f and then type in what you are looking for, the word 'oral' in this instance.  It will then be highlighted.

I am intrigued by this initial fatigue feeling I experienced during the first 5 or so days, I don't think it's just from the trehalose turning into glucose as that much sugar in my coffee doesn't fatigue me at all.  It also started occurring multiple days before I began taking GABA, so I rule that out as well.  Autophagy is most active during sleep, there might be a connection.

Does anyone here have knowledge or experience with trehalose?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:47:55 pm by cubicleclown »

akosi

• Herbalist
Re: Trehalose - for depression, mental, and physical health
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:47:14 am »

Hey thanks for sharing, this is a supplement I have never heard of before.  I don't see anything in the literature about it inhibiting NMDA, but if it inhibits glutamate it should have some beneficial effects for those suffering from schizophrenia or any type of glutamate excess.

When an active compound is rapidly degraded but still shows activity, it means that either some degree is getting absorbed, or a metabolite is instead responsible for the activity seen (See GABA supplement).  Just because trehalose is rapidly metabolized by trehalase does not mean that it is inactive, although if one were to find a trehalase inhibitor the effects would surely be enhanced quite a bit (See Ayahuasca/DMT + MAOI).

50 grams of a supplement is a huge dose.  Is trehalose an endogenous compound?  Even still, 50 grams is HUGE and one would think this may cause issues such as enzyme depletion or liver stress... then again it is a sugar substitute and glucose based molecule... so it may just function as an acid in the body at most depleting minerals.  Interesting... 

Feeling tired after your dose is definitely an indication that it may be stunting glutamate release, but could also just be insulin responding to the massive amounts of glucose hitting the body, hard to say.

I can definitely vouch for the efficacy of GABA, especially when taken sublingually and allowed to dissolve in the mouth.  I have even experienced breathing depression when taking GABA with THP, a corydalis extract!  Definite noticeable calm feeling, not subtle either at higher doses.  I am more of a fan of magnolia extract and theanine myself, but GABA is no joke, and the potency of such may have something to do with why you stop experiencing relief from it after a week of daily use.  I have read that theanine does not cause such a tolerance, but the effects are not as in your face either.

I wish I had more information or experiences to offer you regarding trehalose, but I think the forum needs to get a bit bigger before that happens.  Making posts like this is a great way to get the ball rolling :)

cubicleclown

• Leaf eater
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:19 pm »

I'm not sure how trehalose interacts with glutamate, or in what context, the articles on it are beyond my comprehension, they discuss some sort of interaction between trehalose and glutamate dehydrogenase, which is an enzyme that converts glutamate into something called a-ketoglutarate.  Maybe it's just some sort of in vitro experiment and might not translate into activity in a human, I don't know.  I could easily be wrong about my interpretation that is has an effect on glutamate in vivo.  I'm trying my best to understand, but I'm no scientist.  I hastily concluded that it does, but am probably misinterpreting it here.  This hard to understand study is the closest to it I can find about some sort of interaction between glutamate and trehalose http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24122651

The neuroprotective effects are well documented and explained, however.  Here's another example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20546895

I don't know if trehalose is endogenous in humans, but it is often found in foods, and people have been safely using it as a sugar substitute in high amounts.  It is supposed to be very safe for humans in doses of at least 50 grams http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12065209

Trehalose is supposed to effect other aspects of bodily health as well (like reducing insulin resistance, interesting as it's a sugar, though I don't know if oral trehalose helps or hurts this), I'll research and compile some info soon.

I just ordered some magnolia bark actually, I've only tried low quality magnolia bark in the past and it had a slight effect, and a little help with sleep.  I ordered a bunch from meridian botanicals to check out. 
I didn't know gaba worked sublingually.  The best gaba I've tried was pharma gaba, chewed it up and swallowed it right away rather than let it sit for a while.
Contributing posts is fun I think, I love trying out and researching these things.  If more people join in, that's more fun.

cubicleclown

• Leaf eater
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:41:09 am »

I've developed some bad side effects and have discontinued this supplement.  It began to exacerbate some of my schizoaffective symptoms, mainly increases in paranoia, depression, and anxiety.  What this tells me is that most likely, it has been able to effect my brain, however it caused the opposite effects from what I was looking for.  It may be beneficial to some who have huntingtons and other neurological problems, but not mine.

I've already ordered my next substance to try out, polygala tenuifolia.  This substance has been reported to help many of the symptoms I have listed above, and more.  I've been doing research on it today and it sounds very promising, I'll make a post on it after it arrives, hopefully in a few days.  It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years, and appears safe.

akosi

• Herbalist
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »

Very interested in your experiences with Polygala, cubibleclown.  Another name for it is Senega or Chinese Snakeroot.  I have a few trials with this herb, and it seems like an excellent nootropic.  It did make me sick when consuming 2+ g of the powder orally however, so dosage should be adjusted carefully.